08 July, 2009

Slowing Down


Recently, I was struck by this blog. When I retold the gist to mystikmam later that day, I came to a few ah ha moments for myself.

I have been known to do some MAJOR speeding in my day. How about doing 85 in a 35 zone, past a parked patrol car??? Yeah, I was lucky that I wasn't pulled over! I also have shown little patience on the idea of waiting....

A couple of things have happened to me these past couple of years and that post, in simple terms, made it all make sense. Why are we in a hurry? Why do we rush from this place to that place? Why does time consume our days? Why do we have to time races, who are we really competing against? What clock? Are we really in a hurry to live?

If we hurry too much, are we just rushing through our life? Are we speeding up to our grave, the final destination in this life form? This is the thought that made me stop and take note. I have rushed my whole life to be on time, first place, early arrivals, beat the clock, etc etc. Even now, I struggle with being comfortable at NOT knowing what I am to be/do for the "rest of my life". HA! What a funny line that really is, when you think about it.

Watching Michael Jackson's memorial yesterday, I saw a young boy pushed to excel. He excelled so quickly to please those around him. In the process he found something he was good at. (Note: could he also be good at something else? Not certain, because he wasn't allowed to find out or explore).

He was rushed from this gig to that gig. This TV special to that special, this concert to that concert. He was up against a clock of what will he do next? What is his next move going to be???

Now his life is over on this earth and it could be viewed as a rush to an early grave. This makes me pause to really contemplate what the rushing is for. I am here, living, and this is what we are to do in this lifetime, live!

Living is exploring this world. I want to explore as much of it as possible. I want to see how things work, who people are, what makes sense and know why. If I rush through it, I might miss a critical piece of the entire whole.

Many would agree Michael missed a critical piece of his puzzle. He missed out on something he was never able to regain. His heart was missing a piece and it could have very well been a simple piece, the idea to love and accept who he was. But he missed it in the rush to perform, to please.

I plan on living a healthy, able life until 2072, yes a 100 years. Mystikman will live at least a month longer than my life and the boys will continue after that. So what is the rush? We might as well take time to enjoy the journey.

Yes there are challenges and wouldn't it be nice to fast forward through those? But if we did, we would just have to repeat them, until we learned what it was we were supposed to learn. So I am allowing myself the time to live and take it all in, second by second.

This is a challenge for me, as many of you can attest. But it is a worthwhile pursuit and it just might bring me to a better understanding of me and this world.

Slow down, smell those roses, find the pieces to your puzzle and enjoy the journey. Soon enough you will return to the light and this world will be gone in a flash.

1 comment:

School for Us said...

First of all, thanks for posting a comment on my blog! It really meant a lot to me!

I love what you said, "Living is exploring this world. I want to explore as much of it as possible. I want to see how things work, who people are, what makes sense and know why. If I rush through it, I might miss a critical piece of the entire whole."

I feel that way, too! I was just talking with my mom about how every year I've been getting more & more passionate about life! I hope it comes through on my blog. I just get so excited about "things!" Nature, history, science, genealogy, art, music, travel... there is just so much to do and experience! And, yet, how often am I truly just being there "in the moment" instead of rushing around in my head.

Thanks for the timely reminder! As we are getting ready to go on the biggest trip we've ever been on, I need to really enjoy each and every moment, take it in, enjoy it, and not be rushing to "get it all done." (And, I love how Michael Jackson's life spoke to you on this very topic!)

Dana