22 October, 2009

Acceptance for the Journey

What is acceptance?  After many years of trying to define who and what I am...it appears that I am now in a different space than my family.  Raised in a very close family, including extended family members, the prevailing family value is that you always stick together.  Family is strong and is always there for you, in your business, helping you, when you need it and when you don't want it.  These bonds were tight and seemingly unbreakable. 

I admit to loving this aspect, but find it not so comfortable when family members hold beliefs that are not similar to mine.  If you follow my blog, you will know that I have also broken off these family ties in several ways. 

I no longer share a relationship with my father's family.  As they were the perpetrators of my youth, who abused me, mentally, sexually, and religously, I have found I am healthier to be apart from their physical space.

When I became a mother, I started to examine more family members and found I needed distance from my mother's side.  Not all, but there are more than a few that I would rather not share space with.  Their views, morals, decisions are not in line with mine and I find it hard to keep my mouth shut when challenged with somethign I deem inappropriate. 

People are people and we all follow different paths, no matter the upbringing.  Some of the most unlikey groupings can produce fruitful outcomes!  Just look at mystikman and me!  We really share nothing in common, but have found love in each other that is strong and gentle.

So who is to say where we belong when those we never knew can bring us much joy and comfort?

When we look back at our family members, are we to forever embrace them in our lives?  Or are we to accept them, as they are, for what they are and leave them be to live their lives on their terms?  This is the path I am currently taking, but make no mistake if their path and my path are not the same, then we go our seperate ways as this is the only way to have each person make their own journey.  Is it written that we need to be on the same journey?  I think not.  I am not willing to stop my journey and change direction for anyone.  I love my life and am blessed to be where I am with mystikman, L and V.  I welcome anyone who is on the same journey in our lives, but those who are not, need to go their own way.

Now the part of letting the judgments fall away is upon me....

No comments: