The Small Is Beautiful Manifesto

28 May, 2009

May Movies

This month mystikman and I took in two movies, Slumdog Millionaire and Vicky/Cristina Barcelona. Both movies reminded me of earlier times in my life. Each brought with it some escape, but clearly, there was a winner in my opinion on which one was better for me!

Slumdog Millionaire, reminded me of a past love. This brought forward all those dreams he and I had once. Mostly the cultural aspect, as he is Indian. I could see why the movie won best picture, but honestly, I didn't care for it at all. I hated seeing the children make it on their own, living in such poverty. I internalized, which I know I shouldn't have done, and thought about my boys being forced into somethng so terrible. All in all, it just made me feel yucky and unsettled. Of course the added layer of personal experience and memories didn't help!

Vicky/Cristina Barcelona was another film that brought back many memories, but this film was more comfortable for me. The scenery put me at ease instantly and the music was light, moving and pleasing. I found myself relating to both of the girls at one point or another and I laughed at how silly it all is, but ever so important at the moment. Love is difficult topic to tackle. But this movie hit many levels of its layers and I found it refreshing!

No comments: