The Small Is Beautiful Manifesto

01 August, 2007

Holistic Beauty Products

I have been on a search for natural, organic minded beauty and skin care products. In my past, I used to spend a fair amount of money on cosmetics. The idea of makeup as art is one I embrace. My face and others' faces were my canvases. I have to say, I am pretty good at applying make up and have a good eye for make up trends. This is not to say, everyday, I look like a beauty queen. My artistic expressions have been relegated to special occasions and such. Who has the time to apply the perfect liquid eyeliner while changing a diaper full of mashed up poop?

My policy on purchasing beauty products is as follows: once I have used up a current product, I will replace it with a healthier option, such as one that is organic or made solely out of natural products. (Note: the USA does not allow for beauty products to be labeled organic, as that label is only reserved for food products. The Beauty Industry is still trying to gain this distinction, but I believe it is still being discussed here in the USA).

The problem with this quest, I found, is that once you figure out what is good for you, the rules change and you realize the item you thought was good, included an ingredient that is potentially harmful. So I offer this list of products as an option knowing all too well, the industry is busy working on newer, better, holistic options all the time.

Here are some of my favorites that are not only a quality product but are a great value. They don't contain parabens or sulfates.

Gabriel Mascara - typically sells for 15 dollars. Doesn't clump!
Alba Sea Moss Moisturizer - typically sells around 15 dollars, love the smell!
Alba Sun Screen - Typically sells under 10 dollars, great smell!
Bare Escentuals - Prices comparable to department store products. I use the foundation, blush, eyeshadow etc. One dislike, traveling really reeks havoc on the powder and it goes all over the place. Looking for a better alternative, but I do like the colors and how it makes my face look and feel, flawless.
Giovanni Hair Care and Body Lotion - I have used their hand lotion and love it! The hair care line was used on me at my salon. It smells wonderfully fresh and I plan on purchasing it, when I finish with my Pureology products. I love Pureology smells, but alas they contain parabens.. ugh.
Zoya Nail Polish - They are trying to do the right thing, even though nail polish is hard to make right. I heard that OPI is rethinking their ingredient list and will be providing an improved products. Look forward to that!

Like I stated, I just wanted to share. I know it is hard to remember all the "dos and don'ts", but at least this is a starting point. As I come across better choices for the everyday items, I will share those too! Spread the word!

No comments: