The Small Is Beautiful Manifesto

27 January, 2008

The woman behind the MAN

This past week has been a whirlwind of activity. My hubbie is in the process of finding a new job. This process has spurred the Relocation Conversation among other things.

Interestingly enough, I better understand what women did for their husbands in order to make their men look good. Behind every man is a strong woman, comes to mind. Anyone watch Gilmore Girls??? Well, Mrs. Gilmore, was the coordinator behind the scenes who made it all look effortless. It allowed her husband to stroll in and seal the deal, make the play, send it home.

I have been job searching online for my hubbie when he is at work. I must have sent his resume off to at least 20 or so positions. Additionally, I am the one that is coordinating his portfolio, creating management presentations for change and finding out the cost of living aspect for each location with respect to salary expectations. For all of my hard work behind the scenes, my hubbie made the following statement yesterday. He said, "I'm not so happy about you working right away. I would rather you stay home and make certain the boys get to where they need to be and manage the house". It made me feel strange and happy at the same time to hear these words.

Growing up, I never thought about having a man to support me, I figured I would take care of myself, as I always had. My work herstory may be marred with the awful bosses in my day, but I learned that I am good at figuring out solutions, creative resourcefulness and that I can do just about anything when it comes to business. Tell me what needs to be done and I will make it happen. There is a certain amount of fulfillment when I accomplish a task and set my sites on a new challenge.

I don't see myself as one of those stay at home mommies who belongs to the PTA, volunteering for the bake sale etc. I guess I never really thought about it all that much. But I do see myself having a career again and I want one again. I want to have a work that is me and helps others. I am trying to make this world a better place!!! HA HA, friend in Minnesota will get that one! You see in graduate school we were challenged for our semester project to work in groups and find a way to make the world a better place. I guess, our project left me lacking and I still need to find a way to finish the task.

Getting back to the matter of my hubbie, I am tickled that he wants to provide for us and he values my input behind the scenes and in the home. He knows that I help him acheive his goals and make it easy for him to do what he needs to do. It is a nice feeling to find this sort of comfort in being a non working woman in the the conventional sense. Trust me I work, but not behind a desk, or in an office or whatever. I am the CEO, CFO and Chair for this family and I have a grand task at hand. Once I get this job settled and sustainable... I will work on my own interests.

This is of course assuming, financially we are able to do this. Which of course factors into the decision making process of the job hunt. Exciting to be at this juncture in our lives, after suffering through an awful 2007. 2008 will be great, 2009, will be just fine, 2010 will be zen, 2011 will be like heaven. This is far as I have gotten with my boys.. after all 2012 is supposed to be the end of the earth as we know it!

No comments: