The Small Is Beautiful Manifesto

29 June, 2008

Finally found a place to hang our hat!

Well, it has been decided, we are taking the plunge and renting a small 2 bedroom on the Island Paradise called Key Biscayne. This decision pleases hubbie, as it reduces his commute time to a 5 min. bicycle ride. I am trying to be happy about it seeing all the positives. However, the fact we are going to live on an island jutting out into the Atlantic Ocean has me a little worried.

When we lived in New Orleans, I was very aware of the potential hurricane dangers. Luckily we moved out of the area before Katrina hit and I stopped commuting to NOLA. Most people I knew thought I was being ridiculous for fearing the potential threat of hurricanes, but now the aftermath of Katrina demonstrates, I had every right to be fearful.

I have made certain we are not living on the ground floor and that our unit faces away from the ocean or bay. We actually have a horrible view of the next building and parking lot, but I am so happy about it. There are supposed to be hurricane shutters on the windows which will hopefully be on before we take over the unit. Of course I will be prepared with plenty of water and food to keep my fears at bay.

The boys will love living here, which keeps my spirits up. Every day we have a choice of beach, pool, park or bike ride. We will enjoy living on a secluded, secure island that is very family friendly and peaceful. I will say my prayers each night and ask for Neptune to calm the waters, take a break if you will until we are able to relocate once again. I have 2 hurricane seasons to make it through. God willing, we will make it and our "stuff".

So for now, I remind myself this is a dream for so many and I should enjoy it. Trying very hard to assuage my fears and enjoy this part of my life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget to live your life to the fullest, even though danger lurks. The Universe will provide for you. CONGRATULATIONS dear friend!!

Ally said...

So glad you've found a home. I checked out the website and it looks like a nice little community, and yay for a short commute!! Congrats!