The Small Is Beautiful Manifesto

19 March, 2009

Gaining Perspective

Ah, the homeschool debate....

"How do I know L is learning, what curriculum do I follow, does the state tell me what I have to do and how am I monitored on my ability? How come you are not teaching today? Is that all you are doing for the day? How do you get him to pay attention and stay excited about school?"

Between my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, I have the entire cons for homeschooling wrapped up. I don't really give much credence to what either of them say. Their point of reference is vastly different from my own. However, the other day, I was listening to another homeschooler defend her right and choice. It was interesting to listen and follow her logic.

This particular mom, was trained to be a teacher from educators of the public school system. She then went on to point out that there is no "training/education" to become a homeschooler and those who are classically trained as educators have no idea on what homeschooling is all about. So in theory, then the debate starts, there isn't even proper understanding of the venue or audience so to speak.

Hmmm, interesting point. Classically trained teachers are taught to have lesson plans because they have to submit them to the school board, required by law or something of that nature she went on. The lesson plans are devised as a way to stay on target for a room of 14 plus children and their attention spans. Actual learning occurs....

The point that I really grabbed onto was the fact that we teach our children in a manner that allows them to learn. Learning after all is the point. We teach our children to learn. It really doesn't matter the content, but the fact they know how to learn. After all, most of what we were taught, we forget if not practiced daily.

As a student that excelled in school, I can attest. I tested out of College Calculus in High School; a special day long test was administered and I passed at age 17. Pretty smart hunh? Well ask me today to complete a calculus problem and I would be hard pressed to solve it. But I would know how to figure it out over time, because I was taught to learn.

As long as my boys know how to read, write and compute numbers... I am good. They are being taught to be life long learners and find solutions to problems, simple and complex. I have their best interest at heart and I can honestly say, no one else in this entire world can say that besides the other half of their DNA component!

Yeah, I get homeschooling and I am an advocate for anyone that desires to do it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, sort of. The only issue that I have with homeschooling is the hubris of the parents sometimes. You're convinced that you can impart the same level of knowledge about each subject that someone who's entire career is about that subject. While there are a lot of topics that I would be more than comfortable with instructing my children in, subjects like art and music would be given less attention than they are due. Not because I can't appreciate those subjects, but because they are much more complex than most people realize. So I would be giving only a shallow representation of them, rather than recognizing the depth of information that someone that is an art or music teacher would be able to convey.